Decades: Don, Age 90
Don was in education for 40+ years, as a high school teacher, principal, and college professor. However, his education experience began in a one room rural elementary school, with no electricity and no running water! He is a native Minnesotan who lives in St. Cloud.
- Think of a specific time you felt joy. What was going on, and why were you so happy in that moment?
At the birth of my first child. I was in the hospital (my wife’s parents were also present) when I saw the gift of my daughter. I was changed. Never to be the same again, ever.
When I heard the news that World War II had ended!
- What are some of your favorite sounds?
when my two children say “Hi, Dad.”
familiar melodies from a variety of operas
the whinny of a horse
the saxophone of Boots Randolph
the purring of a cat
the violin and cello
the voice of Pavarotti, Brenda Harris, Renee Fleming
- What makes you feel upset or angry? Why?
Electronic technology–when it doesn’t go well–i.e. computers, iPad, iTunes, smart TVs, satellite remotes and channels, not getting a “live” person on the phone and having to press several buttons in order to do so!
- What is something in your life that feels hard for you these days? Tell us about it.
Managing decline–loss of parents, siblings, friends; loss of capability to do a variety of former things such as horseback riding, running, hearing, hunting, snowmobiling. Decline of dexterity, balance, hearing, handwriting.
- If you were to recommend a book, author, movie, TV show, or musical group to readers, what would it be? What’s so great about it?
The Bible. Why? Because there are over 40 authors of the 66 books written over a period of 1500 years and yet they all come together and form one unified book of wisdom, prophecy and hope.